The Staff of St. James Catholic School is committed to excellence in Catholic education.

We recognize the parents as primary educators of their children and assist parents in the task of education.

In a positive, caring, and supportive environment, we work to facilitate the development of confident, competent, and caring Catholic-Christian citizens prepared to be responsible members of their church, local and global communities.





 
 

The staff of St. James Catholic School is committed to excellence in Catholic education. We believe this education has five distinct goals… religious development, academic achievement, commitment to community service, and personal and social development, as well as physical and cultural development.

We guide the spiritual formation of the student in partnership with the parents. We strive to influence the moral values of the child and hope to help each strengthen his/her personal relationship with God.

We believe in the uniqueness of each student and every child's right to an education. We strive to develop self-esteem and individual talents and abilities to the fullest. We provide opportunities for individual growth, and respect the role of parents as the primary educators of their children. We believe that the school is a complement and fulfilment of the education begun at home.

In following the call of Jesus, we continue His work in the world today. We prepare the students to take an active part in the Catholic-Christian and secular communities in which they live.

top





 
 

Since its doors opened on September 10, 1918, St. James School has lived out the parish's motto "to continue the praise of God." Although the school currently serves students from Torrance and Redondo Beach, the 1892 parish originally extended from Santa Monica to Long Beach.

In 1918 ground was broken by Bishop Cantwell for St. James Catholic School, Redondo Beach. Three Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet arrived at the invitation of the bishop to teach seventy children who came from as far as Hawthorne and Lomita. At that time, St. John Chrysostom in Inglewood was the nearest Catholic School.

In 1954 four classrooms were added; by 1958 a third building was necessary, increasing the school's size to twelve classrooms. As the South Bay continued to grow, the eight-classroom St. James Annex was erected on parish grounds in Torrance in 1963. By 1967 the enrollment of St. James reached its peak of one thousand sixty and was the largest school in the archdiocese. The physical plant had grown from four classrooms to twenty-four. Students originally attended the school site which was geographically closer to them until 1971, when the Annex classrooms in Torrance were designated for Kindergarten through Grade 5, while the Redondo campus served students in Grades 6, 7, and 8. In 1990 the Torrance site was reconfigured to accommodate Grades K-8, a computer lab, and an Extended Care Program, allowing the gradual conversion of the Redondo classrooms into a preschool and parish center. The most recent school improvements completed in 2001 include a new faculty room, expanded junior high classrooms, and modernized office space. The facility is regularly evaluated by the pastor and principal, with input received from staff and parents, so that the best use may be made of available resources in providing for maintenance and improvements. Though the years, St. James Catholic School has clearly and effectively sought to respond to changing parish and educational needs by adding, downsizing, relocating, and updating facilities as appropriate.

top